Monday, February 11, 2013

Saturday Mail


I like receiving mail on Saturdays. Since I'm a self-syndicated freelance cartoonist with several different clients on different pay schedules, I often come home on Saturday to find the best kind of mail - money.
Still, I support the U.S. Postal Service's decision to cut Saturday deliver. They need to save money, and my mail, even the mail with money in it, can wait until Monday. (Frankly my bank is usually closed by the time the mail arrives on Saturday, so I can't cash the check until Monday anyway).
The Postal Service needs to take whatever measures are necessary to stay viable. I use the post office regularly to mail cartoons and artwork to customers. The post office is a valuable business partner for me and hundreds of other small business folks in the area. Plus, here in Madison we are blessed with exceptionally helpful postal workers, who buck all of the stereotypes of complacent government employees.
The Postal Service's problem is heavy handed government oversight, and a mandate to deliver to every address no matter how remote. The law makers who who regulate the Postal Service have always wanted it to operate more like a business. The U.S. Postal Service doesn't need a mandate to act like a business, what it needs is the ability to.
Congress needs to get out of the way, and let the Postal Service make the changes it needs to make to survive in our modern world.

No comments: